Just a reminder, this 30 day Cleanse was devoid of: gluten, dairy, sugar, legumes, alcohol, butter, and potatoes. I finished last week, but fully intend on maintaining the same lifestyle and allowing myself one cheat day a week! If you still aren’t convinced eating well can have enormous affects on your personal life, I challenge you to give it a shot, even for just 2 weeks, and see where you start seeing the benefits yourself. Are your lingering ailments dissipating? Do you have more energy throughout the day? Is your skin clearing up? Are your relationships improving? Is your impatience and irritability dissolving? Have your headaches ceased? Do you feel more optimistic? Are your workouts improving? Do you feel more optimistic? There is nothing to lose and everything to gain in participating in this cleanse… trust me!
Top Five Benefits (as experienced by me on the cleanse):
- Clearer, brighter skin. If you have a skin issue you would like to correct, I encourage you to look closely at how much your diet is affecting you. There are four places where I have had eczema since I was little: the inside of my elbows and inner part of my wrists. It was something that never got better or worse over time and wasn’t noticeable to anyone unless I pointed it out. It naturally always bothered me because I didn’t know what was causing it. During the last week of my cleanse I was sitting at my desk at work and had an itch on my right wrist. After scratching it, I was shocked to see it didn’t feel the same. The eczema was gone! Completely! What I have learned is that any kind of food intolerance can cause bodily disruptions that result in various types of inflammation (of joints – which causes stiffness, of the digestive tract – which causes stomach aches, of lungs and nasal passages – which cause asthma and coughs, of membranes of the brain – which causes headaches and migraines, and of skin – which causes eczema, hives and psoriasis). Try making a few significant changes to your diet and watch as your skin clears up and reveals your new, healthy lifestyle.
- Significant decrease in allergy and sinus symptoms. If you are at all like me, you have been advised to take an allergy pill daily because your “allergy levels” are so high. Not only was I taking a daily prescription for allergies, I was also taking Claritin and Advil Cold and Sinus every day to combat puffy eyes, headaches, sinus pressure and overall discomfort resulting from “environmental” allergies. Not long ago, I was sent to an Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor because of dual ear infections that were caused by severe allergy and sinus problems. I partially did this cleanse to see if eliminating inflammatory foods would allow me to go off sinus and allergy medicine entirely. And it certainly did! The symptoms ceased entirely as a result of eliminating processed foods, gluten and dairy. As a result, I went 30 days without the medicine I was previously reaching for on a daily basis. It truly felt great.
- Cessation of stomach pain, discomfort and bloating. If you have reoccurring stomach issues you simply need to start taking your diet more seriously. This was one of the reasons I began this cleanse as I was tired of walking around day after day with stomach pain, discomfort and bloating. One week into the cleanse and my stomach pain completely ceased and the bloating was gone. Foods with gluten can irritate the lining of your digestive tract so intensely that significant nutrients from food aren’t able to get absorbed properly. This is a very important issue because your body ends up losing out on the nutrients it needs to function at its best. This, in turn, makes you more susceptible to disease, illness and a vast array of disruptions in the body (which we must remember – such disruptions affect the mind as well). Do yourself a favor and get tested for allergies as it’s possible your stomach is being irritated by gluten or dairy products.
- Increased energy levels. We all know a full 8 hours of sleep is optimal for our health, but it simply is not always possible. There were many nights I got only 6 or 7 hours of sleep, but still woke up feeling refreshed and energized. This is because my blood sugar was stable throughout the course of each day (no refined sugar!) and I wasn’t dealing with inflammation caused by gluten, dairy or alcohol. Before the cleanse, I felt lethargic throughout the day after getting a full 8 or 9 hours of sleep! That is just unacceptable! Sometimes it really isn’t as simple as “getting more sleep” as in my opinion, you can function just fine on a little less sleep if you are maintaining a healthy, mindful diet full of clean, nutrient packed foods. If you are someone that constantly experiences low energy levels and a lack of motivation, evaluate your diet and try to omit some things that could be taking away from your health!
- Elevated and balanced mood, decrease in anxiety, improved self esteem. If we eat well, we feel well; that is the crux of this cleanse. Not just physically feel well – but also mentally and emotionally. This cleanse revealed how our food choices substantially affect areas of our life we would least expect it to, such as our emotional/mental health, personal relationships and our ability to maintain ease and balance in our daily lives. In providing our body with the fuel it deserves, we are better prepared to handle adversity because we are equipped with a healthy body and clear mind.
Just remember, it is never too late to start – and it doesn’t have to be a Monday!